Aug 19, 2010

Family Vacation

Last week we spent our family vacation in sunny California.  This time Gerrit was able to come with the girls and I.  We did a lot of fun things in 7 days.  It was one of the more tiring trips, but of course worth it.  Here is a recap of the fun times we had.

Saturday night Karis and her family were at the house also.  The kids had a sleep over in the garage/playroom.  This was a 1st timer for the kids.  We figure that's what kids do.  They had tons of fun, it was hard for Ellie to stop talking.  They finally fell asleep.
Sunday we hung around and talked.  We had time for things like Magic Shows.  Karis and her family had to head back to Arizona around lunch time.  It was fun to see them for a night.  Chloe and Ellie were missing each other.  We had our traditional Sunday dinner, and Jarond came down to see us.  We were all able to chit chat and eat lots of dessert.

Monday we filled the day with Beach Club, Golden Spoon for lunch and Don Jose's for dinner.  Gerrit and I were able to get some couples time at the Irvine Spectrum.  We tried to shop but I'm just not good at spending money on myself.  Tuesday we celebrated Laura's birthday.  We got to meet everyone at Cafe Rio in Mission Viejo.  Eric and Laura are loving life with Cafe Rio in Southern California.  After dinner we went back to the Suman's house for a good old fashioned birthday party.  Of course the theme of the party was steak.  Laura's favorite meal.
Camille made a super yummy ice cream cake.  With homemade and store bought frosting.  Thanks Camille!
What was next you ask?....Good old fashioned Jump Rope.  Bill sat at the table cutting and burning the edges of these ropes so we could get some exercise in.  Plus we had some cool bubble guns for the kids.
Wednesday we woke up bright and early and headed to L.A.  Paula's daughter Brianna works at the Natural History Museum in Los Angeles and got us all free admission and parking!  It was so fun spending the day there.  So many cool things to see.  I remember going there when I was young.  It's fun to see things again through grown up eyes.
I remember the elephants so well from when I was a kid.
Jarond and I noticed the mouth on this water creature looked extremely small.
We heard about the dinosaur puppet show and thought we should go check it out.  What we didn't know was that it was a life size animatronic T-Rex.  Delilah was so freaked out when that thing appeared.  She started crying and yelling,"I want to go home!"  It was pretty cool, except for the fact the T-Rex was wearing blue jeans.
Museum learning with Jarond and Papa
The Insect Room
The Precious Gem Vault had so many valuable stones.  It was so awesome!  Complete with a guard.
Delilah is not so happy in this picture.
Outside we went in the Butterfly Garden.  Hundreds of beautiful butterflies fly around and land everywhere.  It was so cool.
One finally landed on Chloe.  It's what she wanted and when it finally happened she was kinda nervous.
I almost stepped on one
We weren't supposed to touch them, but Jarond was helping this one out so I didn't take it's life.
Look closely and you can see a black one on Delilah's Blankley.
Very fun day at the Natural History Museum
After the museum we went to the best restaurant ever.  Baja Fish Taco's and then back to Dad's to veg for a bit.  We got back home in time to gear up for Thursday's trip to San Diego.  First we headed to Gerrit's grandma's place in Escondido.  We were able to visit with Grandma and Aunt Laurie for a bit before we hit Sea World.  I'm so bummed we didn't get any pics with Grandma this time.  I think my mind was still recovering from the day before.
Chloe was trying to get Shamu to splash us
The Pet's Rule Show was so cute.  All these dogs, cats, birds and other animals did tricks and they were so cute.  After we were able to meet some of the stars in the show.  The Dalmatian licked me on the face while I was taking Chloe's picture.
watching the Polar Bear
This wall was full ice.  You could put your hand in the Polar Bear prints. Burrrrrrr.
Chloe didn't want to go to the beach when we were in California, which is fine since we will be living by one in about 2 weeks.  So this is as close as we got to the beach.
Friday we were ready to do absolutely nothing until Jarond sent a text about a free Yo Gabba Gabba show in L.A.  We decided it could be fun and made the trek again.  For the record driving to L.A. is possibly one of the worst things in the world.  My mom and I were trying to get creative on how to get there and avoid all the Friday traffic.  We took 7 different freeways until we finally made it to The Grove.  It was so packed we couldn't see anything.  Jarond knew one person who let us go to the side of the stage.  The characters sang a whole 2 songs and were done.  It was kinda lame and people were not so happy.  Then the characters came off the stage and gave both the girls a high 5!  They were so stoked.  Delilah talked about it for 3 days.  Even though it was not the best set up, we still had fun with Jarond.
Dinner at El Coyote
On the way home we got to see the Disneyland Fireworks off the freeway.  What a good ending to a long night.
Saturday we did a lot of hanging around and eating at our places before we had to head home.  Thanks for all the fun Cali!

3 comments:

dana said...

That photo of all the kids sleeping in the garage reminds me so much of Granner's house! They're making fun memories already! :)

Looks like a totally great trip. Wish we could have seen you guys.
And wow, Delilah is such a little girl now! darling.

Karis said...

like all the pictures of your trip! You did so much. Kind of exhausting! That picture of the kids jumping in the garage is fun! Just like Dana said...so Granner's house!

Saunja said...

Wow, what a trip! And I'm excited to hear about how your move went too. I hope you are getting settled and loving life in Florida.