The drive from Island Park ID into the west entrance of Yellowstone is only about 30 minutes. We started our sightseeing with a beautiful waterfall. We heard that swimming in the Firehole River was super fun and not very cold since the geysers flow into the water. We came prepared with suits and towels and enjoyed swimming. I was the photographer so I didn't want to risk getting in the water besides my feet. It was so pretty and kinda crazy that they were just swimming in the freakin river! We walked some paths and saw some geysers. Then we got lucky to see a bison. We pulled over and I took a picture of the kid. I didn't think we were that close because look at the guy that is literally in the Bison's face. He was yelling to his family " look he just took a huge poo!" I thought for sure we were gonna see that guy get charged by that giant creature. A lady drove by in her truck and was condemning us for being too close and that we were basically gonna die. So we decided to get back in the van and move on. After the fact I realized maybe I let them get a little too close. EEEK! We waited for the evening and watched Old Faithful before we took off to our motel in Jackson Hole WY. On the way we were able to see the Grand Tetons. So beautiful. It's just amazing the things that exist in nature! The next morning I was able to meet up with Rachel Miller and her kids and none other than "Miller Park" Perfect place for us to meet. She was visiting Jackson Hole with her family from Chicago and I got so lucky to see her! Sam and Mae are so cute. Then we headed out to Bondurant WY to stay with Uncle Scott and Aunt Renee. Bondurant is about 45 minutes out in the middle of no where from Jackson Hole. It was so beautiful. No cell service and super peaceful. It was really kind of them to let us stay on such short notice. They had some other friends staying in the main house with them so we got to stay in Grandpa's cabin. It's stayed the same since it was built. What a treat. We spent time fishing, exploring, hanging with family, canoeing and playing pinball. Gerrit has great memories of going there as a kid. It was so neat to see him so excited. I had no idea about the history of the land and the area. I thought they just liked it. When Gerrit was on the lake with the girls Uncle Scott filled me in on the history of the property and area. One of Grandpa Clyde's brothers named Albert was moving to Alaska to work. He left home at age 15 when he decided he needed to be on his own. Passing through Wyoming he worked on the highway and decided no where else could be as beautiful as this. He stayed and built a life for himself. He owned about 140 acres of land and helped build the first church in town. Scott was so sweet when he was telling this story. He could barely make it through and was getting very emotional. After I went in the basement and looked at the pictures on the walls. The one of Freddie, Clyde and Albert was so cute. I can really see Gerrit in Clyde. What a special place for the family to have a home. Gerrit took a picture with Scott and a good family friend Stewart. Unfortunately Stewart battled Alcoholism and passed away last week of a heart attack. It was good to get to know him better and spend some time with such a funny man. Our trip came to an end with the sniffles and 3000 miles. What a great summer family trip!
















No comments:
Post a Comment