Oct 9, 2010

Sunday Everglades Trip

A few Sundays back we took an after church road trip to the Everglades.  The Everglades is a National Park that is one and a half million acres.  It has tons of different mammals, birds, fish and bugs protected there.  You can do all kinds of stuff there like hikes, canoe rides, and air boat rides.  This time we walked the boardwalk and went gator hunting.  The weather hadn't changed much yet, so we got pretty sweaty in there.



 Our friend Stephen came with us and he had some good info.  This is a Strangler Fig.  It's a plant that takes over the tree and basically strangles it to death.  It was pretty cool.
 Cheapest double stroller ever made.
 A Lubber.  This thing was freakin huge and sick.
 Stephen finally got one on his hand.  Don't ask me why.
 He's single ladies!
 We took this really long dirt road to find some gators.

 The first part of the drive was kind of a bum out.  Until we spotted one, and then another and another.
 It's against the law to feed the gators so we waited til no one was looking to give him some animal crackers.

3 comments:

Scarlett said...

That huge orange grasshopper is really freaking me out. I'm not sure I could go Everglades with my grasshopper phobia! But you guys are lucky to be able to take your kids to such an interesting place. I wonder how the gators would feel about Cheez-Its.

debra said...

holy smokes- those gator PICTURES scare me, and you saw them in real life! YIKES!!! How fun to be living in Florida though... I'm just sad you're not in Provo and I can't pretend we'll get together for dinner sometime. One day. Enjoy life out there though! Miss you!!!

dana said...

That grasshopper is amazing and those gators are totally freaky! We've been watching Swamp People every sunday and now I'm terrified of them :)