Mar 28, 2010

Center Street

How many years have I lived here now?  The answer is 10.  Holy cow that's a long time.  Today was such a beautiful day, the girls and I decided to stroll down Center Street.  I have so many visual images of this street that will surely fade with time.  So I decided to photograph those houses that I love so much.  It's really great to live here with so much history and beautiful architecture.  Keep in mind this is only one street.  In time I will capture the rest of this cute city.  I have a habit of going in any house I can.  I feel like I've been in every house in this city.  Gerrit just laughs at me.  Lot's of the houses on Center Street are historical.  Here are some tidbits.

Fred Taylor House
Fred was a prominent pediatrician.
English Tudor style with steep roof pitch, plaster exterior walls and small window panes.
This house has been on the market a few times since I've lived here.  It's so interesting.  It reminds me of a ship for some reason.  I never have had the chance to go inside this house.  I regret that.
Dallas H. Young House
Mr. Young was a 4th District Court Judge, Attorney, Pres. of the Utah County Bar Association and Chairman of the Utah County Democratic Party.
This building is an outstanding example of the Arts and Crafts Bungalow style. 
I love this house.  I always wondered why they left the porch lights on 24/7.  Then I realized it's the glass they use over the lights.  It's always reflecting, and the lights aren't really on.
I don't know any history on this house.  I do know that I love how 70's ranch it is.  That big window in front is to die for.  One day I want a whole wall of windows.
John C. Graham House
John C. Graham organized the New Century Printing Co.
The Neoclassical design motif of this 1906 home suggests that Thomas Davies was the architect.
Lizzie V. Sutton House
Built in 1903.  This house is an intact example of the Victorian Eclectic style, with the exception of an addition that connects the house to the brick carriage house.  It's for sale people!
Alma Van Wagenen House
Completed in 1917.  The home is said to have the cities first family room, which was large enough for dancing and is now an art studio.  This home is a rare example of the Prairie style of architecture with the compact box plan based on Frank Lloyd Wright's Fireproof House, features fine interior woodwork.  When this house was on the market I begged Gerrit to buy.  It was about 450K.  So worth it!  It's gigantic.
Knight Mangum House
Completed in 1908 for 40K.  It is the most sophisticated product of the Arts and Crafts movement in the city.  Last time the Smith family came to visit we went into this house.  It's now a bunch of apts. Karis was so freaked out by it, she couldn't stay in the place.  I looked a one of the studio apts at the very top for Gerrit and I to rent when we got married.  It was really cool.
Hannah Smith House
Built in 1878.  Hannah was George A. Smith's 2nd wife.  She lived in this house after George died.  George Albert Smith the LDS President is Hannah's grandson.  This house is remarkable in its original condition.  Now it is used for a real estate office.  I do know they got rid of one of the front doors.  To the left of the door was another door leading to the room in the front of the house.  I have some friends that lived in this house.  It is a great example of simple architecture style of early Utah.
John Twelves House
Built in 1906.  Twelves was involved in the Grand Central Mining Company and served as Utah County's treasurer and recorder.  This house is Romanesque Revival with Classical detailing.   Now it's used for a motion picture studio.  You can see the huge christus in front of the building.  Pretty sure that wasn't there in 1906.  This house is kitty corner to my great grandmother's house. (It's not on center street, but still really cool)
This one's for you mom!  This is my Great Grandmother's home.  My mom spent time in this house as a little girl.  The people have kept this house up very nicely in recent years.  A long while back we knocked on the door and asked for a tour.  I remember the inside impeccably.  At the top of the amazing staircase was a little parlor, my mom said they used have ice cream in.  When my mom was a little girl the basement was something she feared.  Since then they have of course made bedrooms.  My mom was able to visit down stairs and not feel afraid anymore.  They recently painted the house and I think it looks amazing.

My mom wrote some more about the house.  Here is what she said. "Granner lived with the Boswell family for awhile. She lived in that small room at the top of the stairs. If I have my timeline right, it was while Grandpa was at war. Granner's family needed to move and she didn't want to move away from Provo her senior year (sound familiar?) and Aunt Maureen (Grandpa's sister) was her best friend. So it was arranged by my gracious grandparents to have a young Patricia Rogerson live with them for awhile. It would be impossible to put all my memories here of that gorgeous home. They are full of loving and happy family memories. Grandma would feed anyone that walked by. It didn't matter if you just got off a train, a bus, on foot, if she knew you or not. It was just her way.  I regret that the Rogerson home in Provo was torn down...I miss seeing that home where more great memories were made of visiting my Granner/Gramp in their home, too. So many great times shared with them...including eating the trout Gramp would catch in the Provo river.  I am fortunate to be a Boswell and a Rogerson and have such a great heritage...that started right there in Provo! "
On the same street as Great Grandma Boswell's house is Gerrit all time favorite home.  We pass this house weekly to see if it's on the market.  I love that Gerrit is so into this home.  It's nice to know I'm not the only house freak in the family.  Chloe is constantly seeing For Sale signs and telling me," Mom we should buy that house.  It's really pretty."
This cute little place was on the market the same time we bought our first home.  I thought it was such a cool little place, but fell in love with my 1901 brick bungalow more.  About 7 years ago it was going for 96K
Knight-Allen House
Built in 1899.  Jesse Knight was instrumental in developing the mining of precious metal and minerals.  He constructed the Knight-Allen House, the Jesse Knight House, and the Knight-Mangum House.  It is the best and most unique example of Victorian Eclecticism in the city.  It needs a little TLC.  I had some friends that rented the upstairs place in college.  Kinda scary. 
Leven-Wolf House
Built in 1938.  Harold B. Leven owned a chain of clothing stores in Utah.  It is 1 of only a few examples of the Art Moderne or International Style of home in the city.  The other 2 homes are located by our first place.  The family that lives in this home now go to my church.  They love this one of a kind place.
Pierpont Mansion
Built in 1926.  This is a great example of an American Colonia Revival Period Cottage.  Thomas Pierpont owned the City Foundry and machine Company.  Another couple I know owns this house now.  Like me she has had her eyes on it for as long as she can remember.  The inside of this house is amazing.  All the original wood and lighting and anything else you can think of are still in tact.  I think the only difference is the kitchen.  She told me one of the men that lived there was a turkey famer.  He would have to enter in the back and wash off in the downstairs shower before entering the house at all. (Per his wife).  My friends scored on this house.  It's magnificent.
Taking your own picture doesn't really work with a big 'ol camera.  Thanks little ones for going on this photo journey with me. 

20 comments:

[Morgan] said...

i have actually wondered about that house with the lights on ALL the time too! thanks for solving the mystery:)
so cool cam.

naomi said...

You should start doing tours of Provo houses haha. I've always loved that Dallas H Young house. It was super neat hearing the history of some of Provo's finest! Also, the first picture of this post is so great.

Sperry Family said...

Wow, awesome post. Thanks for the tour of Provo! I love all the houses there too.

Sara said...

LOVE this post! Every time we come to your house my eyes are glued to every house we pass and I always want to know the story behind them! Thanks!!
Grandma Boswell's house: gorgeous! Gerrit's favorite house: I can see why he loves it so much. And the last house that your friends own, the colonial one, I ALWAYS have my eye on that one for a for sale sign. I absolutely love it. Too bad I've never seen one, and too bad we are stuck here for awhile anyway!

Andrea said...

I love the Pierpont Mansion. I remember when it was for sale and I asked Mark to buy it for me even though we are miles away from owing a home. I pass by these houses every day too. What cool history. I love that you love it so much.

Rachel Miller said...

So fun. You sounded really smart. I agree with the other comments, you should totally start giving house tours in Provo- I think it's your new calling in life. PS You're looking so good!

Kam Belly Soup said...

the funny thing is i thought this post would be totally boring to everyone. thanks for reading it. i'll have to do a part 2 soon. it would include a drive in the car though. not quite as cool as walking.

erin said...

I LOVE the cute houses on Center Street! Thanks for posting this. Miss you.

Karen (GiGi) said...

Kam,as you requested...So here's a few more comments about Grandma/Grandpa Boswell's home:

Granner lived with the Boswell family for awhile. She lived in that small room at the top of the stairs. If I have my timeline right, it was while Grandpa was at war. Granner's family needed to move and she didn't want to move away from Provo her senior year (sound familiar?) and Aunt Maureen (Grandpa's sister) was her best friend. So it was arranged by my gracious grandparents to have a young Patricia Rogerson live with them for awhile. It would be impossible to put all my memories here of that gorgeous home. They are full of loving and happy family memories. Grandma would feed anyone that walked by. It didn't matter if you just got off a train, a bus, on foot, if she knew you or not. It was just her way.

I regret that the Rogerson home in Provo was torn down...I miss seeing that home where more great memories were made of visiting my Granner/Gramp in their home, too. So many great times shared with them...including eating the trout Gramp would catch in the Provo river.

I am fortunate to be a Boswell and a Rogerson and have such a great heritage...that started right there in Provo!

Saunja said...

Wow, Kam! Impressive post. I loved reading it. How do you know so much history about all of these homes? I'm impressed. Btw... we know some Van Wagenens. Interesting, it just isn't a super common last name.

Scarlett said...

Thanks for the awesome post! When I was in junior high, my mom made me go to summer orchestra at Farrer. I walked down Center Street every day and loved to look at the houses. My favorites were always the Fred Taylor house and the John C. Graham house. I miss Provo!

Kam Belly Soup said...

Saunja the Van Wagenens had a few mayors in the family. you will have to ask them. Our friend Dave Eaton and Gordon Peterson used to live in a Van Wagenen house also. I just keep track of literature on the homes. Im kinda weird like that.

Ange said...

Wow! That was an awesome post! Josh and I love these homes!! We always comment on how much we love them when we are down in that area, mostly coming to birthday parties at your place. :) I love all of the info you had on all of them!!

Christie said...

Way to go, you photojournalist! Where did you get all your info?

I think it's easy to take our surroundings for granted. This made me want to discover more.

Elle Keeps Moving said...

Came across this post through naomi's blog and i'm so glad you recorded all of this info! What a treasure! My husband and i used to own a home in provo across from naomi's old house so it was really fun to read about other homes in the area. Makes me miss provo. Thanks for the post!

Veronica said...

I was also directed here by Naomi and I told her this, but I thought I should tell you too, that this was my favorite thing I've read in a long time. Thanks!

Karis said...

So, did you write all that stuff yourself?? Totally impressive. All the pics look great too! Really interesting!

dana said...

KAM,
what a great post! This belongs in a history book.
Wow. those homes are gorgeous and so cool. I love old homes. I'm jealous that you live in one. Loved the details on the Boswell home. I got a little teary eyed reading it.
And cool that Gerrit has a favorite house too. Cute.
Thanks for sharing this with us! Must have taken a while to write all that up.

Shauna said...

I'm in love with these old houses as well plus many more. I would love to tour them but have never been brave enough to ask. I love your walking tour and photos, you're awesome Kam.

Suman Family said...

wow, you're like the provo historian. no seriously, one of my cousins is literally the shelton historian. it's a real profession. you should do it.
anyways, we of couse, love all of these homes too and it brings back so many wonderful memories of provo. seriously love it there...well, in the summer anyways :) thanks for documenting this. very fun for all.